9 Steps to Growing a Podcast

I’m at the moment devoted to a complete technique to develop my podcast, The Pubcast with Jon Loomer. I need to share the steps I’m taking to develop it so that you simply could possibly apply a few of my methods as your individual.

My podcast has been round since 2012. Effectively, technically, I began it in a really uncooked kind in 2012. It existed merely as playable audio information on my web site in 2012. I’d ultimately discover a third-party host and have it distributed to a number of locations the next 12 months (at which level I’d name it a “actual” podcast).

My degree of dedication to the present has developed wildly over time. It was an enormous a part of my enterprise in 2013 to 2015. I turned much less dedicated to it, and ultimately I turned so inconsistent that it turned an afterthought as a method.

That successfully modified late in 2021. Whereas I poked round for a month or two, I’d say my full dedication occurred on November 10. Whereas I haven’t but regained the heights the present hit in 2013 and 2014, the progress is noticeable and thrilling. These early ranges are actually inside vary.

On this put up, I need to element each step of my podcasting technique that contributes to the expansion that I’m seeing.

1. Internet hosting

I host my present on Libsyn (not an affiliate hyperlink), which is a well-liked software program for podcast distribution. There’s nothing significantly particular or spectacular about it, but it surely does the job.

The job, basically, is to host the information in order that I don’t need to, and to distribute my present to a number of locations.

2. Locations

Inside Libsyn, I can arrange the locations that I need my present to achieve when printed. I then present the RSS feed of my present to iTunes and Fb (will talk about Fb later) to get as extensive of a attain as attainable. Past that, some podcasting apps merely decide up my feed routinely with out having to hook up with them immediately.

Following are the locations resulting in probably the most downloads throughout the previous month:

  1. Apple Podcasts
  2. Fb
  3. Overcast
  4. Spotify
  5. Chrome, iOS, AppleCoreMedia, Safari, Firefox, Mozilla (Net)
  6. Stitcher
  7. CastBox
  8. Podcast Addict
  9. Pocket Casts

Throughout that point, Apple Podcasts has made up 31% of my downloads and Fb is available in at second with 13%. The varied internet downloads (mixed) probably present the subsequent largest supply of downloads (I’ll clarify the place these come from later).

My podcast can also be on Google Play/Audible, Participant.fm, iHeartRadio, and extra.

3. Publishing Technique

I’m doing one thing utterly new right here that I’ve by no means performed throughout the near-decade my podcast has been in existence. It’s a jarring change from what I’ve performed throughout the previous few years. Consistency and quantity have exploded in a single day.

One of many largest obstacles to publishing commonly was the hassle required to report a single episode. The Pubcast has traditionally been a 30-minute episode. And whereas I initially had a visitor on the present, I’d ultimately go solo (which does make it simpler, no offense to any visitor). However the largest impediment was what made it a “Pubcast” within the first place: Alcohol.

I take pleasure in a drink on these exhibits. Generally a beer, typically a glass of wine. However the concept is that sections of the present are damaged up by drink breaks and I’ll end my drink by the top (or have to slam it).

Whereas enjoyable, it created a complexity that made it tough to report usually. After which I got here up with an concept: The Pubcast Shot.

The Shot could be a super-quick thought on a single matter. No drink required (no time!). Often 2-3 minutes plus the intro and outro. Extraordinarily straightforward to report, edit, and publish (or schedule).

The Shot has allowed me to strive a radical technique. Starting November 10, I’ve printed a brand new episode each single day. No days off (but, as I write this). I publish a full (drink and 30-minute) episode each Friday, however each different day is a Shot.

This quantity and consistency completely assist. How lengthy I can preserve it’s a query that can be examined. And ultimately, it’s completely affordable to contemplate slowing it down some if quantity doesn’t appear to be serving to. It’s actually an easy method to churn out content material.

4. Podast Web page

I’ve by no means had a “dwelling” for my podcast, apart from a easy web page on my web site with a participant embed and easy buttons to subscribe. That wanted to vary as soon as I dedicated myself to this new method.

I lately arrange a podcast part on my website utilizing the PodPage software program (I’m telling you, by no means an affiliate hyperlink!). My understanding is that it’s good for present website positioning to have a web page or part that highlights your present, lets you play proper there, and offers a number of methods to subscribe.

The web page additionally offers methods so as to add evaluations, ship me feedback, and submit a voice message — with the thought that I’ll use these messages for future exhibits.

5. Weblog Put up Embeds

Earlier, I discussed that internet downloads account for a good reduce of my numbers. I take advantage of Fusebox (previously Good Podcast Participant by Pat Flynn, and never an affiliate hyperlink) to embed episodes on my web site.

Truly, that is utilized in some ways. I additionally characteristic audio variations of webinars and coaching on my powerhittersclub.com membership web site. These recordings are “obtain solely” and saved separate from my podcast.

However, you’ll usually see audio embedded on the high of weblog posts. Normally, I’ve recorded a podcast that’s intently associated to what’s within the weblog put up. So it offers you choices of how to devour it.

6. Running a blog + Podcasting Technique

Arising with matters to weblog about is commonly a problem. That’s now not the case since I began growing my podcasting quantity. This method is basically efficient at growing concepts, quantity of content material, and cross-promotion between web site and podcast.

As soon as I made a decision I used to be going to publish a brand new podcast episode day by day, I knew I needed to provide you with a pipeline of concepts to speak about. I’ve saved a operating record in my Notes app of matters for The Pubcast and Pubcast Shot.

I’ll define a subject earlier than I report. The wonder is that the define I create for the podcast can then be used for the fundamental construction of a weblog put up. And as soon as I’m performed with the weblog put up, I can embed the podcast episode on the high.

I’ve performed it the opposite means round, too. Generally, I’ll take into consideration matters I can discuss on my podcast and notice I’ve written about it. As soon as I report the episode, I can embed it on the put up.

You may wager that when a weblog put up will get traction, the related podcast episode can even get extra performs. That is very efficient at encouraging further listens of the podcast.

7. Adverts for Fb Podcast

If I needed to pinpoint the supply of my podcast’s reinvigoration, it’s most likely my realization of how highly effective Fb may be as a channel. As soon as I related my podcast (learn my tutorial right here), I shortly realized how crucial this new channel might be.

Perceive, we’re nonetheless in a really restricted launch mode proper now in the case of podcasts on Fb. It’s mobile-only and US-only, so we’re simply scratching the floor. However, I can consider the quite a few focusing on audiences and advert sorts that Fb might create, and I get tremendous giddy about it.

What’s humorous is that you simply aren’t technically speculated to run advertisements to advertise Fb podcast episodes but. I discovered a workaround, although, by selling shared clips (learn that tutorial right here).

After each episode is printed, I share a clip a couple of hours later and create an advert for that clip.

Since it should solely be seen by individuals within the US on cellular, I create an advert set with a restricted viewers of my web page followers within the US and solely use the cellular information feed placement. It’s a attain marketing campaign, and I’ve a frequency cap of 1 in 7 days so that you could be see one in all many various episodes after which gained’t see one other for a number of days.

In fact, since advertisements aren’t speculated to exist for podcasts, the Adverts Supervisor metrics don’t inform me something. I’ve to piece collectively paid attain, complete attain, and complete listens information to provide you with a way of how impactful my advertisements are (they’ve been impactful!).

The consequence? Effectively, Fb is already my second largest supply of podcast downloads. See why I’m so enthusiastic about this? The potential is large.

8. Adverts for Different Locations

There may be additionally a method to promote my podcast to individuals in nations apart from the US. I can promote particular person hyperlinks to the present for Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher.

The idea is fairly easy. I create two advert units. One targets cellular customers on an iOS system. My hope is to drive individuals to the present inside Apple Podcasts.

I do the identical for customers who aren’t on an iOS system to advertise a hyperlink to my present on Spotify.

How efficient was this method? Effectively, that’s tough to say. I understand how many hyperlink clicks there are and the price per hyperlink click on. I don’t understand how many individuals subscribed.

I did ultimately flip this off, however I used to be getting hyperlink clicks at $2.83. That felt like quite a bit, however I suppose we don’t know what these individuals have been doing after clicking. And with out understanding, it’s actually tough to evaluate that price.

In the end, with out proof of the variety of subscribers or what these individuals have been doing, that expense felt too excessive. Nevertheless it’s completely one thing to maintain in your again pocket.

9. E-mail Advertising and marketing

I additionally don’t neglect my podcast when selling it to my e-newsletter subscribers. Generally I point out it as an “additionally” when selling a brand new weblog put up. I’ve additionally despatched emails to solely promote my newest Friday episode, with hyperlinks to varied locations.

Fortunately, I began tagging individuals years in the past who click on hyperlinks to my podcast, so I nonetheless have that, and I proceed to tag individuals now. So, over time, I’ll ultimately solely electronic mail these subscribers who’ve clicked these hyperlinks prior to now.

Latest Outcomes

Anybody who hosts a podcast can most likely attest to the issue of measuring success. There are strategies. The data is on the market. However measurement isn’t almost as available as it’s for one thing like an internet site.

The opposite concern is that each vacation spot measures efficiency otherwise — in the event that they measure and report on that in any respect. Apple Podcasts and Spotify are the one two platforms that give me in-depth information on issues like performs/begins, listeners, engaged listeners, and followers. And I don’t have historic information for these two.

What I do have are downloads. My understanding of downloads is that it’s as surface-level as you will get. Your telephone can obtain an episode, for instance, however you don’t essentially take heed to it. However it’s a good signal that it’s being downloaded within the first place.

So, let’s keep on with Downloads for this train since it may be utilized to all locations and I’ve historic information.

In my present’s heyday, I used to be getting 25,000 – 35,000 downloads monthly. As soon as I began updating it a lot much less persistently, that quantity dropped all the best way all the way down to a mean of about 1,500 for 2019, 2020, and most of 2021.

I recommitted to the podcast on November 10, and I’m now seeing about 500 downloads per day, or 15,000 downloads in a month. So, in a really brief time frame, I’ve been capable of jumpstart my podcast, enhance month-to-month downloads by 10-fold, and get inside a couple of half of what I used to be doing on the present’s peak.

The gorgeous half: I’m simply getting began. The numbers are steadily growing. If I stick with this, I absolutely anticipate to surpass my report numbers.

Your Flip

What different strategies have you ever used to develop your podcast? Have any questions on what I’m doing?

Let me know within the feedback beneath!

Post a Comment

0 Comments